Aperam is a signatory to the Global Compact (UNGC – United Nations Global Compact), the biggest worldwide initiative of corporate responsibility that brings together around eight thousand participants, including companies and non-commercial entities, in 135 countries.
With the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), Aperam commits itself to a policy that is widely known for instructing on the development, implementation and dissemination of practices in connection with human rights, environmental, social and governance rights. The initiative fosters the sharing and exchange of experiences, so that progress can be achieved on solutions and strategies undertaken in search for sustainability and corporate citizenship.
All business operations are governed based on guidelines from the Global Compact and on the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact.
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights;
- Make sure that businesses are not complicit in human rights abuses;
- Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- The elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- The effective abolition of child labour;
- The elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation;
- Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility;Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies;
- Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.